Research following character change


During my illustration work on level 5 I did a project featuring the Movember foundation.  The Movember Foundation is the only charity tackling men’s health on a global scale, year round. We’re addressing some of the biggest health issues faced by men: prostate cancer, testicular cancer, and mental health and suicide prevention.

“We know what works for men, and how to find and fund the most innovative research to have both a global and local impact. We’re independent of government funding, so we can challenge the status quo and invest quicker in what works. In 13 years we’ve funded more than 1,200 men’s health projects around the world.”

I decided to refresh myself on Men’s mental health issues and do more research about  the movember foundation.



Character consideratons

My character is the main focus of my animation, and the main representation of Bipolar Disorder. When reflecting on my character and character design with Amelia I decided i may be beneficial to my animation and its purpose of spreading awareness to have a gender neutral character, as originally it was a female character and considering the stigma of mens mental health i think it would be great to have a more neutral representation of Bipolar Disorder so it has the opportunity to reach out to a bigger audience.

ENCOUNTER, subject

pdp subject

Throughout the past year I’ve had many learning experiences that will continue to help me develop in my practice after graduation. I found that even through my animation experiments that I conducted before creating my main Bipolar animation, I can see that visuals and successful imagery has been carried through to my final project. I found the artist research I done greatly improved the outcome of my work. I looked at various animators, documentary animations and artists with related content. My dissertation work also impacted my subject work as I continued to follow through with my research on mental health, specifically bipolar disorder and visually further my research through animation. I feel my final project was successful and shows a good premise for future applications.