Overall I’ve enjoyed creating my own brief and working through my structure and continued research into
Here are my character design sketches for another exploratory animation
After spending some more time researching animation I decided to look st what briefs could be available online which lead me to find this brief which was
I decided to research into products that I felt were particularly unique or Interesting/useful to the audience. Which lead me to find
To create a short advert showing exactly what the product does
After attending cardiff animation nights taster for their festival during the breaks we had an animation collaboration project which was then followed by being given copies of character design quarterly.
Here I demonstrate basic variations for simple characters for animations.
Topic of interest to explore in third year.
After a successful field module last year with tom and chris working on athletes of the heart, and further discussion with Anna and Amelia in my pecha kuicha at the end of last year i have decided to continue my exploration in animation and experimental film.
Over the summer I had conducted various research and experiments into animation. For my ongoing project this term I’d like to have an open exploration of animation in all forms- 2d traditional, stop motion and digital
Here is my outcome for my test booklet, Now that i’ve completed these images to test out the imagery, technique, use of materials, text and layout i can reflect on this and choose what i want to change for my final collections project book. For example, I think the text would work better not on the images themselves. But If i had the text in another place in the book or if i made the images to be inside a pocket I’d be able to create a more interesting layout and make the images themselves stronger by having them stand alone.
From the start of this project I was very excited. I was inspired by the initial briefing as this is the sort of project I’ve always wanted to do.
While playing around with ideas I was thinking of what happens to me personally on a monthly basis as I thought I could really make this project personal as it’s something I haven’t explored as much. An idea that I thought of using was as I dye my hair colourful colours every month and it gradually faded out I could have used that as my colour scheme. But after evaluating it I thought it could limit my artistic outcome with the images.
It then occurred to me to use my personal issues and struggles to express myself creatively. I came up with a project that turned into “what if… A collection of irrational fears”.
After establishing my idea I started to brainstorm what content or ‘fears’ I was going to illustrate. As seen in the above image you can see I wrote down a list throughout the month of my irrational fears/thoughts. I also wanted to include other people’s fears to make my project more relatable to my audience, I set up a anonymous page for people to submit their irrational fears as this could be something very personal which they may not be comfortable publicly sharing.
After I sorted my content out I did some rough sketches in my research book. I wanted to come up with multiple sketches of possible imagery for each fear.
Layout is important; I wanted to make sure that the series tied together and were presented well. I created a portfolio type fold out test booklet and included my individual illustrations of my fears inside which all had the same format: title at top, the fear, the image. I used this as a test run for my images and to experiment with having images on a piece of card rather than a page in a book, as eventually I’d like my book to have images on something that can pop out rather than just flick through.