For part of my Creative Conscience illustration work, they involved a lot of hands so i thought it would be valuable to practise some life drawing in preparation for my final drawings.
Here is the first edit of our video, We felt the next steps to improve for the final hand in is to add the shapes, but most importantly make sure it matches the audio exactly, as we feel an important part of the brief is to make sure our animation responds to the music. We also feel that we need to make sure the shapes blend with the background and gives depth to the video, not looking as if there is a harsh shape directly on top of our ink and water animation.
The above footage shows our first experiment with dropping ink in water. Gwen and I took turns on who’s role it was to drop in the ink and shooting, We found that during our experiments that the different coloured inks ‘sat’ in the water differently.
Therefore we had to find a palette that not only worked aesthetically but sat in the water in a way that worked while shooting. The black tended to feel a bit thicker and once in the water change to a dark purple and keep its shape for longer creating interesting shapes.
The other colours we chose dispersed more quickly.
I also felt that i wanted to create another layer to the video ( in where it suited best) I used marbling inks as these would sit on the surface of the water rather than sinking and can create more defined shapes. I feel this experiment was successful and will add greater depth to the footage when it’s layered in.
For part of Amelia’s Seminar we had large pieces of paper which we used for an exercise where we folded them in half and cut shapes out of them. We then were able to use what we had left now to create something new.
The above image shows what I created, I found the exercise so fun and inspiring as i found it to be a great method to push through art block as you are creating something completely random out of your imagination which makes it easy to produce without having to make too many hard decisions and overthink the work.
Here are my stop motion experiments, Tom showed us an app while introducing us to the DragonFrame software, It’s a mobile app that allows you to create quick stop motion videos.
Techniques might involve but are not limited to:
2D Rostrum based animation
Computer generated visuals
Practical elements of this course will include induction into animation and editing workshops, and a site specific presentation.
Feedback and group tutorials will analyse outcomes and uncover options to take this field of study further.
You will be involved in a discussion on the possibility of arranging an external performance of the collated films and where best to place it for international viewing.
Skills: · To foster a culture of experimentation and exploration among Level 5 students. · To foster a culture of negotiation, autonomy and self-motivation;
Context: · To encourage you to re-contextualise and synthesise ideas drawn from experiences beyond the confines of your Subject discipline; · To develop a clearer sense of trans-disciplinarity
Ideas: · To foster a trans-disciplinary approach to your work in Level 5; · To encourage you to bring diverse experience to your conversations about research and practice;
The overarching theme of this project is to encourage you to create a response to given musical inspiration through exploration on visual motifs movement and colour. Attention will be paid to expanding on a variety of mediums and processes that might be under developed and in so challenge the perspective of your own discipline.
My initial Ideas:
I feel that as the project is to create an animation responding to our clients music, I should really consider what visual motifs i’m using and how successfully I can link them to the audio.
I like the idea of using geometric shapes and changing the speed and complexity of the shapes depending on the sound of the music in that specific section ( slow sections to be simpler shapes and fast/busy sections of music to have more complex shapes )
I’m also inspired by :
I like how painterly and soft The Dante Quartet is due to its use of colours and layering, You can also photographs which the paint has been layered on top of.
I’m considering exploring something similar to this such as exploring combining my shape ide with a painterly background – maybe using some watercolours or inks.